What is the parent carer forum?
The parent carer forum is a group for parent carers of children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs and/or disabilities living in Croydon. We are part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) which joins up the work of forums across the country.
At PiP we coordinate the forum through a steering group who meet monthly at the Carers Support Centre. There are currently 12 parent representatives in this group.
What is it for?
The forum exists to ensure we give voice to a wide range of parent carers in Croydon, to inform the design, development and improvement of local services. It is the aim of the forum to represent a diverse range of families in Croydon and work together with representatives from Education, Health and Social Care to share evidence of the lived experiences of parent carers locally. We do this through a variety of means – meetings, consultations, emails, online surveys and events.
Key responsibilities of the forum
-To empower parent carers to speak up about their experiences
- To work in partnership with statutory and voluntary agencies to design, develop and improve local services, policies and practices
- To build productive relationships with key decisionmakers in the areas of Education, Health and Social Care in Croydon
- To identify key local priorities for parent carers
- To ensure the accountability of the Local Authority under SEND reforms and the Code of Practice
- To be active parent representatives in local working groups and on local boards
- To be up to date with local and national SEND developments
- To constantly drive change where needed
Examples of working groups and boards in Croydon with parent representation from the parent forum
- SEND strategic board
- SEND inspection readiness group
- Autism Partnership Board
- Hear Autism (working with Cllr Fitzpatrick, Autism Champion)
- Children’s Health Steering Group
- Children and Young People’s emotional health and wellbeing board
- 0-5 ASD diagnosis pathway working group
- Learning Disability Partnership Board
- Together We Can – co-production working group for adult services
- Local Offer stakeholder group (tbc)
SEND strategy implementation plan (2019 – 2022)
The strategy was agreed by Cabinet in April 2019 and the parent forum has volunteer parent reps in each of the respective workstreams. These are:
- Joint working between Education, Health and Social Care
- Early intervention/early identification
- Workforce development
- Post-16 transitions
- Better graduated response
Ongoing user reference input into an improved Local Offer, due to be officially launched in July 2019
Parent carers’ survey
To be issued July 2019
Seldom Heard group
Identifying ‘seldom heard’ groups in Croydon and how better to engage with them.
How can I get involved?
The steering group meets monthly. See below for meeting dates.
You are welcome to come along to any of our meetings and/or contribute to our agenda. You don’t need to be present at meetings to give us feedback or ideas. As long as you are on PiP’s mailing list, you will receive news from meetings and can contribute to our agenda any time. We encourage you to add your voice to consultations and surveys we run throughout the year.
As a member of the steering group you can receive training in a range of issues to do with SEND, including how to provide constructive representation of issues facing families to strengthen the common voice.
Parent Forum steering group meeting dates for 2019
Wednesday 5th June
Thursday 4th July
No meeting in August
Wednesday 18th September
Thursday 17th October
Tuesday 12th November
Wednesday 4th December
Please note: Meetings are at 10.00 to 13.00 at the Carers Support Centre, 24 George Street, Croydon CR0 1PB
Current surveys and consultations
Parent Forum Agendas and meeting notes
Parent Forum Handbook
Parent Remuneration Policy & Claim Form